Monday, August 25, 2008

Olympic Fever

We had so much fun watching the Olympics this year! I remember getting excited about watching them as a family when I was younger, but since we've been married, we haven't really ever stopped anything to watch the Olympics. This year, though, we watched almost every night. Chuck and I even stayed up past 10:00 several nights to watch the excitement!! :)One night we had an Olympic Night. We celebrated the Olympics by having a "Chinese" meal. I'm sure it was far from authentic, but we thought it was pretty tasty! I made a stir-fry, egg rolls, and a salad with chow mien noodles. We topped it off with some "won-ton sundaes." The only thing we were missing was the chopsticks! It made it even more exciting for the kids because they had been hearing about China from their Aunt Jodi and Uncle Brian who were in Beijing this summer. Caleb's soooo impressed that they went by the Bird's Nest and took a picture of the Water Cube!

Tonight as the closing ceremonies were going on, I felt sad that the Olympics were over. I even caught myself getting teary-eyed at one point. I watched with Caleb and Jake, and Caleb kept asking questions like "Why do the Olympics have to be over? Can't they last a few more days? Are we going to have them next year? I have to wait until I'm ELEVEN to watch the Olympics again???" And then as the U.S. Men's Volleyball finished up and the Chinese men at the ceremony began drumming drums with feathers on their heads, he asked incredulously, "Do they think people are going to like this stuff??" Enough of the show, he wanted more Michael Phelps!! Jake, however, was mesmerized!

What will we do now without the Olympics to watch? I guess maybe we'll get back to reading Little Pilgrim's Progress instead of staring at the TV every night!
I don't have to worry! Football starts tomorrow!! ;)

No comments: