
Last year we started a tradition that we have really enjoyed. I got the idea when we began getting all the extra advertisements last year for "Christmas." I wanted to think of something to help our kids realize how many things God has already given to us and not be so hungry for more "things." I had them think of things they were thankful for that cannot be bought or wrapped. They thought of things like family, friends, a warm house, I even let them add some things like warm jammies and toys. I wrote out 25 things and wrapped them up in 25 boxes and put them under the tree. It was exciting each night after family devotions to pick a "gift" to open. We would take out the slip of paper, read it and take turns thanking God for His gifts. The 25th box was the gift of Jesus.
This simple activity has been helpful even to me to remember in this time of getting and giving to give Him thanks for what He has already so generously showered upon us.
The last gift is ideally opened before we open our family presents. Since we are with extended family on Christmas Day, we skipped ahead this year and even though it wasn't the 25th, we still opened our last gift before we gave each other presents. This year along with the words "Jesus ~ the greatest gift of all," I wrapped a nativity scene that Mom gave us especially for our "gifts." It was in a box with a bow that unfolded into a manger scene. It was sweet to watch the children's excitement as they opened the "gift" and talked about what a great gift Jesus really is. They gazed at that little nativity scene as Chuck read the Christmas story.

Thank you God for your indescribable gift!



3 comments:
That's awesome Kim! What a great idea. Have a great Christmas.
(how funny-the word verification is 'prayes'!)
What a beautiful idea with your presents! In the previous years, I had asked our girls what present they wanted to give Jesus. They really had to think about it - attitude, greatfulness....the hard things in life! Have a great new year!
I'd say that picture of Chuck with the kids is precious, priceless, and one that will be valuable to each of them as it represents so much of your home. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Post a Comment